Sunday 30 September 2007

Simple Doodling...

It really is as simple or as complex as you want to make it. I chose a piccie of Emily but entiled the page 'i love you' so it really fits for anyone. I *heart* the love, elsie papers and they do go with the 'doodly' style so I used a little 'betty' paper and cut it into a zig zag-ed block ~ using a pieces of bazzil I had as a guide. I used bazzil bling too and the doodlebug glittery paper. The chipboard hearts are some v.old tlc stuff I had from when I started scrapping (tonight, I ripped open the packet for the first time!) and of course my old faithful zig pen...!


This is how I have arranged my paper and card onto my page. It's simple and leaves some room for doodling but not heaps to make you feel overwhelmed...
Firstly I drew around a huge circle (it was my two littlies drum!) in pencil to give me a circle guide. I then went over in my pen, it wasn't neat at all... don't worry if you're not a perfect artist or super confident with your pen - I find if I don't think about it, it's easier... start thinking about it and my pen is all over the place! The circle then has two other circular lines inside the first being quiet wide with randomly spaced circles inside and the second having closely spaced lines all around the edge. The more randomly placed the circles and lines look, the better...
Here, i've added quiet alot. The lettering which I have drew free hand onto the page but following the edge of the circle. I have added some shading/3d parts on the letters and then filled with the similar style of lines as in the circle. It also detracts any mistakes or 'wobbles' you may have made in your letters! For the 'love' I used the negative chipboard heart and backed with glittery cardstock. The positive part was used overlapping slightly the edge of the photograph and adding wings which I hand drew in the glitter cardstock and overlaying with a lined cardstock (actually an old library card insert)
I have used 3d foam under the wings (one layer under the middle of the wing and two layers under the end tip of the wing) and this was done for both layers...
I know the flash is SUPER bright (it's what you get for not knowing how to alter the shutter speed!) but the chipboard heart negative is backed with the glittery cardstock to coordinate with the wings. See the close up doodled letters (if you don't feel confident to draw them free hand, why not draw around chipboard letters and then add in your own shading/3d doodle afterwards?)
Here, you can see how in the lines of the wings I have added roughly written words (it reads: all you need is love ~ over and over again) and dotted around the heart and the negative heart edges, also the photograph too. Around the patterned paper I have drew fake stitches (really simple - anyone can do this!)
Lastly the overall LO. I have journalled inside the circle but you could leave it blank ~ or if you're feeling brave doodle some more in there. Around the bazzil bling piece I have drew 'x' and 'o' just so it doesn't seem so much of a 'block'.

I am sure I am going to get the watercolour paints out tomorrow and tint all the doodles in blue/red watercolours just so it isn't so stark on the white paper. I am sure that pencils/wax crayons/ pens would work just as well! The name of the game is to experiment and have fun! Doodling on you scrapbook pages isn't about things looking immaculate and perfect. If everyone copied this LO, each one would look SO much different to the next. (and plus i'd be so chuffed!) It, I hope shows you that those girls I know who are scared of their pens ~ to pick them up and have a go! Or why not try doodling with a versa mark pen and then heat embossing what you're done in a fabby shimmery powder?!

And lastly thank you to Ali Edwards for pushing me to share the love of doodling with you all!!! In the week i'll do some more and doodle little piccies too. I have the most fabby little halloween project to share... complete with doodles!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. This is still one technique that is super, super hard for me. I always feel like you still have to have some type of drawing ability (which I don't) to pull it off. So, maybe I will try it one of these days. lol

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm off to create this now with my mountainous pile of stash. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant. I love it. Great LO.

Anonymous said...

Your doodling is so awesome!! Like my sister above (michelle) I'm so nervous to doodle, because I don't have any drawing skills. You make it look so easy!!