Tuesday 12 February 2008

Spare time...

With my November Cocoa daisy kit I have made these so far... I am trying to use nothing else and see how far I can make the kit go ~ very far atm!! Three LO's and I still have heaps and heaps of stuff left...



I only have a handful of photographs of me with my mum when I was little and I know they make me feel funny. They just seem so magical. I can't really remember any of my childhood really, well before 7. And tbh I don't want to, it was horrid. But the photographs of my mum and me make me smile. I just look and hope that i'm doing everything right by Emily and Benji and we'll have the same bond and relationship I had with my mum.



This was part inspired by Karen Russell *sigh* (her scrapping is super classy and super cool) and a dare in 'the dares' book ~ why you scrapbook. I lifted the title because it seemed that we had the exact same reason to why we scrapped because so many had gone and we were left with untold stories. I look rough in the picture with my mum. I had just finished a 10 hour-odd shift as a portrait photographer at Olan Mills. I was feeling pretty rough too! But it just reminded me of her so much, the little thing we did that are often forgotten when I think of her. And the old photograph is of her when she was a girl with her dog Rex. I don't know the exact date it was taken, i'm guessing around 1957 but I will never be sure. The scalloped piece lifts up and theres another photograph and alot of journo-ing. I don't know quiet if this LO works but it isn't my style and its just trial and error I guess...





This really isn't my choice of paper at all. I can't even remember the last time I used floral paper like this. But I have all these old, old photographs which need to be scrapped. And this paper just spoke to me when I looked at the picture. The pp reminds me of my Grandma and Grandad's house with the flocked velet wallpaper they had and the silk flowers she used to love. I guess the paper really is in memory of them because I can't actually remember when the picture was taken, I don't know why it was taken but I know it evokes so many memories of being there. How my Grandma (my mums mum) had a false leg because she had dropped a hot coal from the fire on her foot when she was a girl and had gang-green (SP?!) and so had to have it amputated. How she used to sew plushies to sell for the disabled at her local group. How the whole lounge was full of brasses ~ you can get a sneaky look in the pic, and how she used to have these weird crocheted covers on the tops of the sofa and chair. And she used to have a gianormous circular glass table with cream leather swivel chairs! God, it was hideous but probably very fashionable at the time.







I am feeling the pinch on my time at the moment. I seem to have none and when I do, I want to be sleeping. I have lots of half started jobs to finish and heaps of paperwork and stuff to catch up on... It's a fine, fine balance between being a full-time mum and working 20 - odd hours a week. I guess it's going to take me a while to get with it all and sort myself out.

Saturday morning, when I was up at 5:30am wasn't so bad... but after not getting to bed til midnight on the Saturday evening and then up again at 5:30am on Sunday ~ that was the killer! But still I survived and worked an extra hour on Sunday evening because we were SOOO busy. I have never known a phone to ring so much. But all in all i'm actually enjoying it. I feel pretty fine about going to work, not filled with dread like some jobs can make you feel. And although we're v.v.busy, it actually feels like a break!

So this week i'm working Wednesday and Thursday evening and the early morning on Saturday with the late evening on Sunday! We've planned to go to the zoo tomorrow with Em and Ben and the Benji has his jabs on Thursday; what a treat for valentines?! Afterwards we plan to go the Kev's mums for lunch but we'll see how he is. Then on Friday we have Kev's brother, wife and their three coming round for lunch... So we're gonna have a busy, busy week!

1 comment:

michelle said...

glad work is coming together nicely for you. as for phones, if I don't ever hear one again for the rest of my life, I would be perfectly happy. love your pages. I take my kits to work and try to do some work, I figure, everything I need is supposed to be in there, right? I am surprised you used red paper on your layout! see, it came out beautiful! have a happy valentines day!